HPANWO Forum
   Hosted by freeforums.org
    Register Arcade  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>hpanwoforum</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: The Rockall Constitution
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

I was wondering what members all thought about the Rockall Constitution. At the start of Chapter 10 Kayleigh turns up and gives Dill some advice and criticism on his draft for the constitution. If you were in her place, what would you say? Here is the draft to remind you:

Quote:
Constitution of The Rockall Republic (Draft 1)

Part 1. Directives

Directive 1.
The Island of Rockall is sovereign to itself alone. It belongs to nobody except Arkdwa. Its environment, physical and biological structure, humans, animals, plants, visiting birds and microbes that live on it are to be regarded as sacred objects. Their defence and protection are the absolute first priority of the state.

Directive 2.
The people of Rockall are each sovereign to themselves. Every individual citizen has the following rights:
A: To live in whichever way they choose, so long as it does not cause a detriment to the Island or another citizen.
B: To solely possess the product of their own labour.
C: To exist free from exploitation, violence and oppression; both from within or without the territory of The Rockall Republic.
D: To have an equal and adequate share of all industrial produce.

Directive 3.
The people of Rockall are also stewards and guardians of the island and therefore every individual citizen has the following duties:
A: To honour Right A of every other citizen.
B: To defend Right C of every other citizen, and themselves also.
C: To protect, preserve and heal, when necessary, the environmental, physical and biological structure of the Island and those who live on it; whether human, animal, vegetable or microbiological.

Part 2. The structure of Human Society

1. Political

A: Parishes:

The Government of Rockall is to be founded on the Gibson-Ford-Laird Model first proposed in September 2010. It is based on the “Parliament” of St Kilda. The population is to be divided into small groups taking into account geographical location (e.g. Rockall Port), occupation (e.g. crofting) and ethnic group (e.g. The Erkdwala colony). These groups called “parishes” will decide all affairs within their own interest.

B: The Rockall Assembly:
The Rockall Assembly will discuss all affairs concerning the whole Island. Each parish will elect one person to sit on the Assembly and these people will consist of its members. The Assembly shall elect its own chairman. It will be subordinate to the parishes on local matters and supreme on Island matters. The members will be unpaid and subject to immediate recall on the authority of their parish.

C: The President:
The President will be elected by a single pool vote and subject to immediate recall by his/her own choice; or by order from the Assembly or plebiscite. In such instances another President will be elected in the same way. The role of the President shall be to deal with emergency matters when there is no time to consult the Assembly or parishes.

2. Economic
The currency of Rockall is to be non-exchangeable with other national currencies. It is to be publicly owned and administered by The Money Committee of the Rockall Assembly. Citizens may take out interest-free loans on their authority.

3. Industrial
Employed citizens are to be encouraged to form workers’ cooperatives for their particular industry. This is where all the employees are also shareholders of the company. Supervisors and managers are elected from the board and all capital is disposed of according to their decision.

4. Legal
Law is to be administered by the Legal Committee of the Rockall Assembly which will appoint counsel to any plaintiff or defendant. Trial, verdict and sentence for any person, parish or cooperative that breaches the Directives will be by selected jury.

5. Social
A: Education:
All citizens are entitled to raise their children in accordance with their cultural values so long as this does not contravene the Directives.

B: Religion:
The Rockall Republic shall have no established state religion. Citizens are entitled to believe in any faith so long as they do not practice aggressive conversion or contravene any of the Directives.

C: Language:
The Rockall Republic shall have three official languages: English, Scots Gaelic and Erkdwala. All documents, minutes of Assembly meetings and notices must be freely available in all three tongues.

6. Health
The Rockall Port Hospital and the Ross Quentin Hospital in Green Port will be run by the health workers cooperative which will be entitled to claim a Health Fund grant from the Money Committee where necessary. The Legal Committee shall also have the power to bill a citizen for treatment if a trial decides that he/she is to blame for another’s illness. Medical licences will be granted to all qualified members of the health workers cooperative and the Erkdwala physicians.

7. Taxation
It should not be necessary for the state to impose a tax, so long as the Health Fund functions effectively. All other services will be provided by private cooperatives.

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 pm 

I like the simplicity of it. The simpler, the better. Of course it would be nice if people could live together in harmony without written laws, but of course, that's just not realistic.

I like the part about letting everyone live his/her life the way they see fit as long as they don't violate anyone else's right to do so. That, to me, is the key to any successful society.

I have never understood why some people want to dictate and control other people. Nevertheless, these types of people do exist, and laws must be made to protect people from them.

I thought it an interesting discussion between having an open or closed society. I thought you handled that resolution in a truly realistic manner. We cannot close ourselves off completely from the rest of the world, but at the same time, we don't want to conform to it. It's a fine balance between the two.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:27 am 
Site Admin

I'd already written the constitution when I noticed the apparent contradiction that Kayleigh spotted. Can we own our own capital, but alos give everyone the right to a certain share of all industrial produce. What balance could we strike?

I agree that ideally we wouldn't need laws at all! David said something like that in his last newslatter. Do you receive the David Icke newsletter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:39 pm 

I haven't quite gotten the nerve to switch over to premier subscriber, yet. I have been thinking about it though. The teasers are quite good. I would also like to view the videos in his archives.

I have read a number of his books and watched several of his videos. He is an excellent presenter.

I like his ideas about more localized government. Those ideas are also present in the Rockall constitution. I think elected officials would work harder for us if they had to look us in the eye and explain themselves in person.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "perfect" society. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try, though. Considering others first is a key starting point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:20 am 
Site Admin

"Perfect" sounds a bit boring. We need some challenges to give our society some stimulus and something to strive for. However what we have today could be better. I was very much influenced by David in preparing the Rockall constitution. I'm also very interested in EF Schumacher, an economist who influenced David while he was writing It Doesn't Have to be Like This.

Post subject: Re: The Rockall Constitution
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 am 
Theporter wrote:
I was wondering what members all thought about the Rockall Constitution. At the start of Chapter 10 Kayleigh turns up and gives Dill some advice and criticism on his draft for the constitution. If you were in her place, what would you say? Here is the draft to remind you:

Quote:
Constitution of The Rockall Republic (Draft 1)

Part 1. Directives

Directive 1.
The Island of Rockall is sovereign to itself alone. It belongs to nobody except Arkdwa. Its environment, physical and biological structure, humans, animals, plants, visiting birds and microbes that live on it are to be regarded as sacred objects. Their defence and protection are the absolute first priority of the state.

Directive 2.
The people of Rockall are each sovereign to themselves. Every individual citizen has the following rights:
A: To live in whichever way they choose, so long as it does not cause a detriment to the Island or another citizen.
B: To solely possess the product of their own labour.
C: To exist free from exploitation, violence and oppression; both from within or without the territory of The Rockall Republic.
D: To have an equal and adequate share of all industrial produce.

Directive 3.
The people of Rockall are also stewards and guardians of the island and therefore every individual citizen has the following duties:
A: To honour Right A of every other citizen.
B: To defend Right C of every other citizen, and themselves also.
C: To protect, preserve and heal, when necessary, the environmental, physical and biological structure of the Island and those who live on it; whether human, animal, vegetable or microbiological.

Part 2. The structure of Human Society

1. Political

A: Parishes:

The Government of Rockall is to be founded on the Gibson-Ford-Laird Model first proposed in September 2010. It is based on the “Parliament” of St Kilda. The population is to be divided into small groups taking into account geographical location (e.g. Rockall Port), occupation (e.g. crofting) and ethnic group (e.g. The Erkdwala colony). These groups called “parishes” will decide all affairs within their own interest.

B: The Rockall Assembly:
The Rockall Assembly will discuss all affairs concerning the whole Island. Each parish will elect one person to sit on the Assembly and these people will consist of its members. The Assembly shall elect its own chairman. It will be subordinate to the parishes on local matters and supreme on Island matters. The members will be unpaid and subject to immediate recall on the authority of their parish.

C: The President:
The President will be elected by a single pool vote and subject to immediate recall by his/her own choice; or by order from the Assembly or plebiscite. In such instances another President will be elected in the same way. The role of the President shall be to deal with emergency matters when there is no time to consult the Assembly or parishes.

2. Economic
The currency of Rockall is to be non-exchangeable with other national currencies. It is to be publicly owned and administered by The Money Committee of the Rockall Assembly. Citizens may take out interest-free loans on their authority.

3. Industrial
Employed citizens are to be encouraged to form workers’ cooperatives for their particular industry. This is where all the employees are also shareholders of the company. Supervisors and managers are elected from the board and all capital is disposed of according to their decision.

4. Legal
Law is to be administered by the Legal Committee of the Rockall Assembly which will appoint counsel to any plaintiff or defendant. Trial, verdict and sentence for any person, parish or cooperative that breaches the Directives will be by selected jury.

5. Social
A: Education:
All citizens are entitled to raise their children in accordance with their cultural values so long as this does not contravene the Directives.

B: Religion:
The Rockall Republic shall have no established state religion. Citizens are entitled to believe in any faith so long as they do not practice aggressive conversion or contravene any of the Directives.

C: Language:
The Rockall Republic shall have three official languages: English, Scots Gaelic and Erkdwala. All documents, minutes of Assembly meetings and notices must be freely available in all three tongues.

6. Health
The Rockall Port Hospital and the Ross Quentin Hospital in Green Port will be run by the health workers cooperative which will be entitled to claim a Health Fund grant from the Money Committee where necessary. The Legal Committee shall also have the power to bill a citizen for treatment if a trial decides that he/she is to blame for another’s illness. Medical licences will be granted to all qualified members of the health workers cooperative and the Erkdwala physicians.

7. Taxation
It should not be necessary for the state to impose a tax, so long as the Health Fund functions effectively. All other services will be provided by private cooperatives.

Very interesting Ben. I can't see an argument against it in anyway other than what Mark Stevens is proposing. Have you youtubed him and his "No State Project". How very different your offering is from what is in place currently all across the world.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Hi RD. I've heard of Mark Steven's and his project, but don't know the details. I'd be interested to find out more though. 8) Some of the objections to the Rockall Constitutions are covered in the plot of the novel, but if I ever do a FOURTH edition I might change it with new information.

"Because he refused to compete in games of domination he was indomitable"
from The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:25 pm 

I had a mate once whose sisters boyfrends uncle was in the navy and landed on Rockall to put a plaque up or sumthink. Brian Masters I think his name was. An Icelandic boat wanted to claim it like an Irish boat did. But our boys made it furst.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

He must have been on HMS Vidal. That was a while ago, 1955. Yes, the UK got there first over many challenges by other nations. I describe this in the book.

"Because he refused to compete in games of domination he was indomitable"
from The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin